Hirshfield’s is excited to announce we’re adding a new product called Cottage Paint, to our line of decorative paint finishes. Cottage Paint is a clay-based paint that dries to a matte finish. If you’re looking to update an old piece of furniture, this is the product for you.
From the Cottage Paint website:
Cottage Paint is a clay-based paint that dries to a silky matte finish and remains porous and easy to sand or wet distress when dry. We didn’t invent this paint, it’s been around since the frescos in the Sistine Chapel! We did, however bring it up to modern environmental standards by removing almost all of the VOCs in both the bases and the pigments.
1. Cottage Paint dries in about 15 minutes to one hour. I’m not joking. BUT for a rule of thumb – never do more than THREE applications of anything to a piece per day.
2. It adheres to just about any surface you can think of: Wood. Plastic. Metal. Brick, Melamine…
3. It requires NO sanding, priming or stripping. NO prep work – just a CLEAN surface. We recommend using TSP to get it good and clean.
4. It can be distressed as soon as it is dry using a damp cloth or fine sand paper.
5. Cottage Paint does not roll or peel like latex when sanded, and appears as if the paint has truly worn off over time.
People get really excited about the “no prep” aspect – but use your judgement. I was working on a chair with a high-gloss factory finish, and I took five minutes to scuff it with sandpaper to assure maximum adhesion. Use TSP to clean the piece making certain it is clean, clean, clean.
Cottage Paint offers a clear wax coat in three different sheens for a protective finish. For a tougher finish a varnish top coat can be applied. Also, included in the Cottage Paint products are colored waxes (including a liming paste) which will give your furniture that aged antique look.
The standard Cottage Paint line has 50+ colors in 8oz. containers and any Hirshfield’s paint color can be mixed in quarts. In addition to the extensive palette of pastels and brights, imagine all the color possibilities you have just by adding white to a color.
The majority of Hirshfield’s stores carry the Cottage Paint products but call your local store just to make certain before you make a special trip.
Since Frank and Elizabeth Hirshfield opened their first store in 1894, it has been our mission to do the best job possible meeting customer needs and solving customer problems. Hirshfield’s. People and products you can trust.