Home offices are certainly popular. After all, working from home is convenient and efficient. But creating the right kind of workspace can be tricky. So, if you’re looking to carve out some office space at home — or improve what you’re already using — here are our tips to create the perfect home office.
- First, find the perfect location. Repurpose an unused room in your home, but make sure you are aware of what’s nearby. If you know you need peace and quiet to work, then the guest room next to the playroom may not be the best spot. Be aware of your working style and go from there.
- Don’t have an extra room? Try claiming the space under your stairs. A pretty chair, a work surface attached to the wall, and a cork board for pinning inspirational images are all you need to create a fun and functional home office.
- Choose interior décor that you know will get your gears turning. For some people, relaxing colors are the right fit. But others prefer bright colors. Know your “working” personality and decorate accordingly.
- Find a great desk and comfy chair. Comfort is easy to overlook, so find something you know you can be comfortable in, just not too comfortable.
- Position your desk with a view that will inspire you. If watching the neighbors enjoying the great outdoors will distract you, then stay away from the windows. Face it towards something that will spark your creative mind.
- Lighting is everything. You don’t want to strain your eyes, and if you know you will be working into the night, make sure you have plenty of lamps and room lighting that will keep your workspace well lit.
- Organization is the key. The last thing you need is your workspace to stress you out on top of your workload. Find the perfect storage components and shelving to hold books, equipment, and anything else you might need.
Make your office homey and comfortable. You don’t want to dread going to your office, so making it somewhere you enjoy spending time might help to make the work seem fun.
Since Frank and Elizabeth Hirshfield opened their first store in 1894, it has been our mission to do the best job possible meeting customer needs and solving customer problems. Hirshfield’s. People and products you can trust.