How to Remove Old Wallpaper
Ring out the old and bring in the new. What better time to freshen up your living space than the start of a new year. Giving a room a makeover during the winter is an excellent way to break a case of cabin fever. But changing wallpaper can be scary – or at least it used to be. So we have some tips to make changing old wallpaper as easy as ringing in the New Year.
New World of Wallcoverings
Hirshfield’s was founded on wallpaper back in 1894 – before ever introducing paints and window treatments to our stores. However, today’s innovative wallcoverings are not your grandmother’s wallpaper. You can forget steaming and scraping in the future. Contemporary wallpaper products are removable and breathable.
Where to begin?
- Ask questions – It’s easy to overestimate the size of a project. Before you get overwhelmed, feel free to call on of our staff at any of our stores to help prepare for your project.
- Size it up – Make sure you take correct measurements, so you can properly cover your wall. Before you order wallpaper, you want to make sure you have enough. One double roll generally covers approximately 50 square feet, however it will depend on the design and style of the paper.
- Tools and supplies – Having the right wallpapering tools for the right job will ensure you are on the path to wallpaper success.
- Prep your space – It’s important to make sure your wall is free of nicks and notches as well as clean and glue free.
- Remove old wallpaper – If you are looking to replace old with new, no worries. There are some easy wallpaper removal tricks to help master the job.
- Hang Time – Keep your eye on the prize. The finished product is going to be extraordinary and you’ll have the added satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. We have wallpaper hanging instructions spelled out for you to help you out.
Do you need some wallpaper ideas and inspiration? Visit our retail stores or browse our extensive line of wallpaper.
Since Frank and Elizabeth Hirshfield opened their first store in 1894, it has been our mission to do the best job possible meeting customer needs and solving customer problems. Hirshfield’s. People and products you can trust.