Summer window treatments for energy efficiency.
Summer is upon us and utility bills are rising simultaneously with the hotter temperatures. As much as 50 percent of heating and cooling can be lost through the windows in a home. There are window treatments that will help keep some of the hot sun and damaging UV rays out of your home, while keeping the cool air in. Shannon, the Hirshfield’s Shop at Home resident window treatment expert, shares how to save money with these tips.
Window Treatment Tips for Summer
- White or neutral backing: Window treatments that have a white backing to them will reflect more light. This is good for summer months when the hot sun is beating in on the windows. Most honeycomb shades come with a white backing that increase energy efficiency. Hunter Douglas has a line of Duette® Architella® Honeycomb shades with a patented cell within a cell construction. They are the most energy efficient honeycomb shades on the market. In fact, these shades are so energy efficient they can reduce energy loss by up to 50 percent. A lot of their Duette Architella collection qualifies for the 2013 Energy Tax Credit. If white doesn’t work well with the exterior of your home, Hunter Douglas has expanded their collection of Architella fabrics to offer some with Streetside color. The Streetside color is a neutral color to help blend more with the exterior of your home. Combine the Streetside color with the technology of the Architella cell and you have something that is efficient and good looking. With 88 material and color combinations, honeycomb shades are a good year round choice for window treatments.
- Sunscreen shades: Sunscreen isn’t just for the beach! Gone are the days of Mylar shades. Bring on the Sunscreen and Solar Shades. Hirshfield’s has a variety of brands to choose from. Sunscreen shades are available in all types of openness ranging from 1 percent to 14 percent. Sunscreen shades are a great option for sunrooms, offices or areas where full privacy isn’t as much of a concern. Sunscreen shades were designed to offer UV protection and help reduce glare. There are many patterns and colors to choose from. Shannon’s personal favorite is the Alustra Screen Shade collection from Hunter Douglas in either the Bolero or the Chic collection. These shades offer the appeal of sunscreen with an added Damask design to it. The Alustra Screen Shade collection is only available at limited Hirshfield’s locations, so make your way to the closest Hirshfield’s quickly!Tips about Sunscreen and Solar Shades:
- The higher the openness percentage, the better visibility and view through. These block less UV and provide less privacy.
- The lower the openness percentage, the less visibility and few through. Lower openness percentages block more UV rays and provide more privacy.
- Light colors reflect light into your room while blocking harmful UV rays, provide a softer view through, and allows less heat gain for optimum efficiency.
- Darker colors allow a better view through and glare control. They also absorb light and heat for energy efficiency.
Keep your family comfortable, your home stylish, and your utility bills low this summer with these window treatment tips!
Since Frank and Elizabeth Hirshfield opened their first store in 1894, it has been our mission to do the best job possible meeting customer needs and solving customer problems. Hirshfield’s. People and products you can trust.