If yellow is on your radar for a new wall color, let Suzanne get you started in the right direction. Psst! Yellow is a hard color to get right, so pay attention my friends; don’t make the mi$take$ I have!
color theory – best yellows
This post is used with permission and courtesy of good bones, great pieces.
By far, the most frequently asked question to designers like me is: “What color should I paint my bedroom, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, hallway…?” So today, we’re sharing our best recommendations for tried and true yellows. But, hold on! Before you run out to the paint store, remember this: whenever we paint rooms yellow, we always use creamy white moldings. My favorite creamy white is Benjamin Moore Acadia White (OC-38). It has a hint of red in it, which really complements any yellow wall. And if you’re feeling really ambitious, paint the ceiling of any yellow room a silvery gray, like Benjamin Moore Gray Mist (OC-30). Perfect combinations, every time.
1. Benjamin Moore Crème Brulee (2022-70) Great name, right? I’ve often recommended this color for baby’s rooms because it’s a very gentle yellow. It works for anyone who just wants a soft, subtle yellow. You won’t be disappointed.
2. Benjamin Moore Yellow Lotus (2021-50) I adore this color in a space that gets a lot of natural light. It’s very bold and strong, but a true yellow. Wonderful kitchen color. Looks terrific as a wall color with creamy white cabinets and stainless steel appliances.
3. Benjamin Moore Goldtone (OC-112) This color is a golden yellow with just a hint of orange. It’s perfect in a room decorated with lots of additional complementary colors. It looks great with red, brown, green and black.
4. Farrow and Ball Lancaster Yellow (249) This beautiful, soft yellow is derived from a paint color used by 20th century tastemaker Nancy Lancaster (1897-1994). Nancy was the owner of a very influential English decorating firm called Sibyl Colefax & John Fowler. She has been credited with creating the English Country look. Not so popular today, but when I began my interior design work in the early 1990’s, it was the rage. In any event, if you’re looking for the perfect yellow to paint your living room, bedroom- really any room, this would be your best bet. Trust me, Nancy knew what she was doing,
5. Farrow and Ball Babouche (223) Babouch is a very, very bright and intense color best used in small dark spaces or narrow hallways for dramatic effect. It reminds me of the exterior color of houses in Tuscany and is absolutely wonderful to look at both day and night. It takes a brave soul, but it’s worth the trip.
6. Benjamin Moore Sunshine (2021-30) This color reminds me of a burnt orange Crayola crayon. It’s a terrific color for a really sunny space. A kid’s room would be great in this or even a dining room with brown accent pieces. – S
A big thank you to the good bones, great pieces duo for allowing us to use their work on the Hirshfield’s blog.
Hirshfield’s carries Benjamin Moore paints at all locations; the color swatches are available at our retail locations. The actual color is a tad different from the colors seen in this post.
Hirshfield’s does not carry Farrow & paint, but we do carry their wallcovering line at our design studio.
If you can’t find a yellow in Benjamin Moore that suits your style, we also carry Hirshfield’s, Glidden, and Devine paints.